Volunteering Tasmania (VT) acknowledges its legal obligations regarding the handling of personal information and will ensure that all such information is held in a secure environment.
Within this environment, Volunteering Tasmania staff will only have access to personal information on a need-to-know basis. Personal information will be held in the strictest confidence at all times, and redundant information will be destroyed.
VT may change this policy from time to time by updating this page, and you should check this page to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from July 2019.
Information VT Collects
VT collects the following information:
- Unidentified details of your visits to our website and the resources that you access, including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data and other communication data.
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website, such as when you sign up to our e-news subscription.
- Information provided to us when you communicate with us for any reason, such as information received through Volunteer Connect.
Use of Your Information
The information that VT collects and stores relating to you is primarily used to enable us to provide you with information, updates and news regarding our work or that of the sector. In addition, VT may use the information for the following purposes:
- To provide you with information requested from us, relating to our work.
- To notify you about any changes to our website, such as improvements or service/product changes, that may affect your access and our work.
- To develop services.
VT does not share personal information with other organisations or individuals outside of VT except in the following limited circumstances:
- VT has your consent. VT requires opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- VT has, in good faith, belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violation thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of VT, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- VT is contractually obliged to for funding purposes.
Why we collect personal information?
Collecting personal information is essential to delivering a high quality service to our stakeholders.
This includes being able to make appropriate matches between potential volunteers and organisations or events. If we did not collect personal information, we would be unable to provide effective referral and education services. In addition the collection of some demographic data assists the Australian Government ( a VT funding body ) develop and invest in the volunteering sector.
Storing Your Personal Data
VT uses industry standard security measures to prevent the loss, misuse and alteration of information under our control.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and therefore VT cannot guarantee the security of data sent to us electronically and transmission of such data is therefore entirely at your own risk. Where VT have given you (or where you have chosen) a password so that you can access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
Access to Information
Should you wish to receive details that VT holds about you please contact us.
For more information download the Australian Government’s Data Exchange document: